For the most current photo exploits of my time in Hong Kong and East Asia, look no further than my Instagram feed here (or follow me @scriptmonkeyking).

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Weird Food Stuff

So a while back I did the KFC Hong Kong style breakfast combo, so after recovering from that I went to Mc Donald's to check out one of theirs.

So what we have here is a cup of coffee, a hash brown and a bowl of chicken broth, macaroni, carrots and a chicken steak. The other kind is with sausage and egg (a sausage egg McMuffin taken apart essentially).

Like the KFC version, it's taken from one of the local staples from Hong Kong's greasy diners. Instead of chicken steaks and all, it's usally with fried Spam or ham, etc. Spam is pretty popular as a breakfast dish here.

The taste is like a soup with macaroni and chicken. Nothing weird when you think of each thing separately, but together it works well. The different textures from the squishy macaroni to the meaty seasoned chicken steak get all mix within the chicken broth, which creates to me, a distinct Hong Kong breakfast meal. When you add the hash brown, it's not so great as it gets all soggy and over powers the tastes of the other food.

I'm still debating if I want to eat the pineapple bun with butter. Sounds all right, but when you realize the butter is a wedge, well you have to ask yourself, "is this really a good idea to eat this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment