For the most current photo exploits of my time in Hong Kong and East Asia, look no further than my Instagram feed here (or follow me @scriptmonkeyking).

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Weird Food Stuff of the Week

There's a restaurant chain called Din Tai Fung. They have branches spread across the world here and there. It's a Taiwanese version of Shanghai cuisine (confusing enough for you?). Now, having said that I want to let you know my most favourite dumpling, ever.

"Siu lung bao"





A steamed dumpling filled with pork and crab morsel that is floating in soup. The dumpling is rolled out so thin that as you pick it up, you wonder how it's holding everything together.

Eating it is an art. You should never pop it into your mouth, unless you're like Ralph.

"It taste like burning!"

Din Tai Fung offered instructions on how to enjoy this most perfect of all dumplings.



I did ask if they had one in English, but they didn't. So here's my take on it.

1) Enjoy the visual presentation and check which are intact. A leaky dumpling isn't the most enjoyable.


2)Carefully use your chopsticks to pick the dumpling out of the bamboo steamer by the twisted top. This is the thickest area of the dumpling. This way you don't pierce or break the dumpling and lose the soup.


3) Here you can dip the dumpling into black rice vinegar.

4) Bite the top off and let the steam out (remember Ralph? Don't be a Ralph). Here some like to suck out the soup or devour it whole. Personally, I like tasting the soup first.




 

New Videos of how to make them dumplings.



No comments:

Post a Comment