For the most current photo exploits of my time in Hong Kong and East Asia, look no further than my Instagram feed here (or follow me @scriptmonkeyking).

Monday, February 8, 2010

Revoltech and Giant Robot Love

Kaiyodo's Revoltech action figure line is way cool. Though not to scale, it's for those who want that quick hit of nostalgia with great articulation for recreating memorable poses.

If you're ever in Hong Kong and want to find collectible toys, hit up Wan Chai. Imagine a whole street of small shops selling everything you would toss your wallets at. Since I was looking for some older things I had a hard time finding what I was after. Lucky for me, I took a trip to Macau and from the same toy shop I picked up some old Star Wars figures there he was!

 Though tempted to get the Transformers ones that were there (Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream),






I went for my long love for giant robots from the 70s; I'm so happy they show them on right after school on Global when I was kid. Oh man, they even had one of the Getter robots.

 


If they had all of them they would be on my shelf as well.









I'm also looking for Grendizer.







I need to find out if they ever made the Macross Cyclone, that would be very bad for my wallet.


Back of box showing some cool ass poses you can do.


Other side of box.


Side of box.


I've been looking for this for a long, long time. Long because I'm a cheap ass. Picked this puppy up on a trip to Macau. I'll upload photos from there later. Now I need to find the closed faced version.

8 comments:

  1. Hi SCM! Can you refer me to a good store in Macau where I can buy Revoltech figures? And how much are they going for? Hopefully cheap! ;p Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found one next to Sao Paulo Cathedral. There's a large sign so you can't miss it. The price for the Revoltech ranged from $90 to $200+.

    I wished I had more time for more toy shopping, but that will have to wait until the next trip there.

    Last time I was there I found a really cool statuette place, where an 80 year old man made them. All your Marvel and DC characters plus Anime ones where there. Hand carved and painted. Too bad I couldn't find it when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Thanks for the info, bro! My sister is going there next month for a seminar and I'm thinking of asking her to buy Revoltechs as I've heard that they're cheaper there. I was initially asking her to ride a ferry to get to HK to go shopping there but she's not sure if she'll have time... so I was asking around for stores in Macau, in case my sis can't make it to HK. I'm aiming for Hokuto No Ken & Queen's Blade Revoltechs, and a couple of Figmas.

    Thanks again for the info! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries. The toy shop in Macau is on the left of Sao Paulo Cathedral; when you're looking up at it from the bottom of the staircase. She'll have fun walking around that area. Many food vendors that give up free samples. There's also many Chinese furniture shops and those that make to order. So, it won't be just a "favour" for her to be in that area.

    If she can make it out to Wan Chai, there's a street of toy shops, but it's a hectic place to be. The cheapest place I've heard for toys is China. Yeah, I know. Big surprise. Hoping to take a trip there with a toy collector and be his shadow to see how it is there.

    Good luck with getting your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey bro, its me again. It was just confirmed that my sis couldn't go to HK (darn!) so she just have Macau to go around. Looks like that store you told me about in Sao Paulo is my only option. lol.

    BTW, were they selling the latest stuffs from that store? I know that HK carry all the latest stuffs.. hopefully, they also got the same items HK has. I also heard a toy store from Sao Paulo named "Toys Kingdom". Is it the same store you told me about?

    Damn, this is really getting me excited! lol

    ---

    Wow, thanks for the info about China. I guess the only drawback is that they're also the main source of bootleg products. You're right though.. it would be great to be traveling there on the shadow of a toy collector. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that was the toy shop I was at. It has both old and new items. When I was there they had loads of unopened boxes of Transformer and G.I. Joe figures. For the Revoltech figures, they're located downstairs. Go along the wall on the right as you go down the stairs and they should be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. My sis is leaving for Macau tomorrow. Hopefully, all goes well and she gets to buy my stash. I'll report back after a few days to tell how the trip went (aka if i got my stash.. lol). Thanks again for all the info, and the time to answer aall my questions. I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries. I hope it all worked out for you and you got your stash already.

    ReplyDelete